ISO/IEC 20000 Certification Scheme
ISO/IEC 20000 is increasingly seen as the quality standard for IT Service Management and many companies are striving to adopt ISO/IEC 20000, not only for their own benefit but also to help qualify and choose suppliers and partner organizations.
The ISO/IEC 20000 IT Service Management Certification Scheme was initially created by itSMF and is now owned and operated by The APM Group Ltd.
Why should my organization become certified?
The benefits for an IT service provider organization working towards and achieving certification against the ISO/IEC 20000 standard are many and varied, dependent upon the organization itself and the business and customers it serves. The key benefits are:
- To establish an on-going culture of continual improvement and learning within an organization, providing a target to achieve and maintain. This leads to continual improvement in the quality of IT services provided and increased business and customer confidence in the service provider and their ability to deliver.
- To ensure that organizations focus on the implementation of a set of integrated processes and solutions, that are appropriate, suitable and effective in meeting the needs of the business processes, the customers and the users they serve.
- To increase the rate of change and the productivity of staff and the use of their skills and expertise. This in turn leads to reduced long-term costs and a reduced risk of being unable to meet business objectives.
- To enable organizations to adopt a structured approach to service management based on best practice guidance, allowing them to better understand their business and their needs, their roles and their processes, improving the reputation, relationships, inter-working and communication with their business and customer contacts.
- To enable organizations to internally assess their processes and activities against international standards as a method of identifying and implementing improvements, and to be independently, externally audited for compliance using a scheme and standard that is internationally recognised and respected.
- To exhibit a level of effectiveness in service provision and to demonstrate superiority over competitors, providing a competitive differentiator in tendering situations.
- For outsourcing and hosting organizations to demonstrate that they are serious about service management and the quality of service they provide and that their processes are effective and have been independently audited as such. This may provide competitive edge over incumbent internal suppliers or other competing outsourcing and hosting suppliers.
- For current or internal service providers to demonstrate that they are also focussed on service management and the quality of service they provide.
How do we become certified?
Any organization wishing to be formally certified against the scheme will need to be assessed by a Registered Certification Body (RCB). Once the requirements of ISO/IEC 20000 have been satisfied, the RCB will issue a certificate of conformance and the organization will be eligible to use the itSMF ISO/IEC 20000 logo as a sign of their achievement and may also request a listing on this website, enabling instant verification by visitors.
View the full list of Registered Certification Bodies here.